The wrist plays an important role in many basic activities, from opening a door to using a phone. So if you are dealing with wrist pain, it can interfere with many aspects of your life. But we can help. Whether you have wrist pain, stiffness, or trouble gripping objects, we will uncover the cause and solve it.
Issues in your wrist can cause a variety of symptoms. Here are some common symptoms that we can help with:
- Aching pain in the wrist
- Pain that appears when you move your wrist
- Pain that extends to the hand or lower arm
- Swelling or redness around your wrist
- Swollen fingers
- Numbness or tingling in your hands
- Difficulty gripping objects
- Loss of motion
What Causes Wrist Pain?
There are many possible causes for wrist pain. It may be the result of an injury if ligaments in your wrist get overstretched. But it can also come from long-term issues like arthritis, repetitive stress, and carpal tunnel syndrome.
Here are a few common causes of wrist pain:
- Repetitive stress: This can cause inflammation of the soft tissues around the wrist, particularly when performing repetitive movements for hours without a break.
- Sprains and strains: These injuries can result from a sudden impact, such as if you fall and your wrist bends backward when your hand hits the ground.
- Arthritis: This includes osteoarthritis (OA) which is caused by wear and tear over time, and rheumatoid arthritis (RA) which causes your immune system to attack your own joints.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: The carpal tunnel is a passageway in your wrist. When the median nerve (one of the major nerves to the hand) gets pinched in the passageway, it can cause pain and numbness.
Diagnosing Your Wrist Pain
To discover the cause of your wrist pain and shape your custom treatment plan, we start by speaking with you about your symptoms and history. Then we’ll perform a thorough examination. Our health care providers may also assess what kinds of repetitive activities you perform in your daily life.
We also have a variety of advanced imaging tools to help in diagnosing your issues. That includes MRI, x-ray, and CT scan. We can also perform nerve conduction studies. These tests can measure the speed of nerve impulses as they travel through the carpal tunnel section of your wrist.
How can Activa Help Me?
We offer a wide range of therapies to help with wrist pain. Just some of the treatment options we can provide include:
- Physiotherapy: Our physiotherapists are experts at diagnosing wrist pain and providing solutions. The treatment may include manual therapy, exercise programs, and recommendations on injury prevention.
- Chiropractic: Our chiropractors can solve bone misalignments in your wrist that put tension on the connective tissues.
- Massage therapy: Massage can alleviate pain symptoms and solve issues that cause wrist pain such as nerve irritation.
- Acupuncture: Activating acupuncture points can stimulate muscles, nerves, and connective tissues in your wrist. This boosts your body’s natural painkillers and ability to heal.
- Functional braces: We can provide wrist braces that provide reinforcement and protection from further injuries while allowing you to heal and perform your normal activities.
- Mental health therapy: Treating mental health conditions like anxiety and depression can alleviate your pain symptoms.