Shoulder pain can make the simplest of tasks seem impossible. Parts of your daily routine like getting dressed or combing your hair can become excruciating. But whether you are dealing with unexplained pain, stiffness, or a reduced range of motion, or we can help.
Shoulder pain can involve a variety of symptoms. Some common symptoms that we can help with include:
- Pain from raising and lowering your arms
- Pain when at rest
- Pain at night that may prevent sleep
- Pain at the top of the shoulder that radiates up the side of your neck
- Pain located on the outer shoulder and sometimes the upper arm
- Deep, aching pain at the back of the shoulder
- Shoulder stiffness
- Shoulder weakness
- Clicking or creaking noises when moving
- Being unable to move your arm, even with someone else’s help
What Causes Shoulder Pain?
The shoulder is a ball-and-socket joint that relies on a system of tendons and muscles to move. It has cartilage and fluid-filled sacs that reduce friction and keep your bones from rubbing together, so you can move without pain.
When something goes wrong with one aspect of your shoulder, it can begin causing additional problems. This is why it’s so important to get shoulder pain diagnosed early.
There are many possible reasons for your shoulder pain. Here are just a few of the most common causes:
- Wear and tear (especially among active adults)
- Repetitive motions
- Injuries (such as from sports, a car accident, or the workplace)
Diagnosing Shoulder Pain
Our health care providers will identify the source of your shoulder pain, and work with you to create a treatment plan to solve it. We will speak with you, take a detailed medical history, and perform a physical examination. We can also use diagnostic tools like x-rays, ultrasounds, and CT scans to help uncover the root of your issues.
How Can Activa Help Me?
We can create a custom treatment plan just for you. Our diverse team of medical professionals allows us to combine a variety of therapies, which is the best way to get effective results.
Some of the services we can offer include:
- Physiotherapy: Can restore shoulder flexibility, increase strength, and prevent further injuries.
- Massage therapy: Can help treat issues affecting muscles, nerves, and tendons in your shoulder.
- Chiropractic: Can correct bone misalignments that cause pinched nerves and muscle strains.
- Acupuncture: Can boost your body’s natural pain killers and ability to heal your shoulder joint.
Start on Your Road to Recovery
Most shoulder conditions can be treated with medication, exercises, and therapies, so there is no such thing as permanent shoulder pain. However, there are cases where the pain lasts for years. This may be due to other underlying conditions, wrong treatment plan, or wrong diagnosis. If you’re experiencing chronic pain, it is a good idea to have your shoulder re-examined.
Most shoulder pains are short-lived. However, if the pain does not go away or occurs with every activity, it is possible that the key tissues in your shoulder are irritated, and they are sending pain signals even without motion. If you are experiencing this, you should have your shoulder examined to know the chronic pain’s underlying cause.
Though most shoulder pains are directly related to your shoulder alone, it isn’t always the case. Pain in the general shoulder area that is often difficult to pinpoint may be due to a worse condition. Some of the conditions linked to shoulder pains include herniated disc in the neck, gall bladder diseases, and in rare cases, a heart attack or bleeding from the liver or spleen.