Your hand is a complex machine. It is made up of a complicated group of joints, muscles, tendons, and nerves. This is what gives your hand the dexterity to perform all sorts of tasks.When something goes wrong with that system and causes pain, it can affect your overall quality of life. It can make even the simplest tasks seem difficult.But we can help. With our team of experienced and dedicated healthcare providers, we can identify the cause of your pain, and create a custom treatment plan to solve it.
There are many varieties of hand pain, and we can help no matter what symptoms you’re experiencing. That includes:
- Sharp pain
- Pain that also affects the arms and shoulders
- Popping sensations when moving your finger
What Causes Hand Pain?
Hand pain can result from a number of issues. They range from repetitive strain injuries to diseases like rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
Here are a few common causes for hand pain:
- Arthritis: There are many forms of arthritis, but they all involve inflammation of the joints that can limit hand function. The two most common types are osteoarthritis (OA) which is caused by wear and tear, and RA which is an autoimmune disease.
- Repetitive strain: Performing repetitive actions for hours on end can cause inflammation and swelling of nerves and tendons. This can include carpal tunnel syndrome which affects the median nerve as it passes through your wrist.
- De Quervain’s disease: This condition, also known as de Quervain’s tenosynovitis, involves pain and swelling of the tendons around the thumb. It can also cause pain in the lower arm.
- Finger sprains: When your finger gets bent in a way that damages the ligaments, it can cause pain, swelling, and restricted mobility.
- Trigger finger: The proper name for this condition is stenosing tenosynovitis. It involves the swelling of some connective tissue (the tendon sheath) at the base of the thumb or finger. It can cause a popping sensation when you try to move your finger or thumb.
Diagnosing Your Hand Pain
Since there are so many possible causes for hand pain, our experience diagnosing these issues is key. To ensure we get to the root cause of your issues, we take a whole-body approach. We’ll begin by speaking with you about your symptoms, history, and goals for your treatment. Then, make a comprehensive examination.
To help us uncover the source of your hand pain, we can use advanced diagnostic tools including ultrasound, bone scan, MRI, CT scan, and nerve conduction study.
How Can Activa Help Me?
We provide a variety of therapies to help with hand pain. Based on your unique issues, we can incorporate a combination of these solutions into your custom treatment plan.
Some of the services we can offer include:
- Physiotherapy: Can provide manual therapy, stretches, and exercises to alleviate hand pain and solve underlying issues.
- Chiropractic: Can include correcting bone misalignments that cause hand pain.
- Massage therapy: Can relax strained muscles and alleviate problems with nerves and tendons in the hand.
- Acupuncture: Can boost your body’s natural painkillers and its ability to heal tissues in the hand.
- Mental health therapy: Can alleviate pain symptoms by treating issues linked to pain sensitivity like anxiety and depression.