Cardiovascular disease (CVD) encompasses many different conditions. It can involve a variety of issues with the heart and blood vessels. That includes stroke, heart failure, and abnormal heart rhythms.
Cardiovascular disease is a common issue. One study found that the average chance of developing CVD at some point in your life is over 50 percent.
Some of the factors that put you at higher risk of developing CVD include:
Since there are so many types of cardiovascular disease, the symptoms can vary. But here are some symptoms that are common among many cardiovascular issues:
- Pain in the chest
- Pain in the left shoulder
- Pain or discomfort in the arms, elbows, jaw, or back
- Cold sweats
There is a variety of treatments for cardiovascular disease, ranging from exercise programs and medications to open-heart surgery. Here’s some information on the different treatment options.
- Cardiac Rehab Programs: provide lifestyle counselling and safe exercise that is designed for people with heart issues.
- Medications: Used to control cholesterol, increase blood flow, or regulate heart rhythm.
- Surgery: Often used when a heart condition won’t respond to other treatments. It may include things like repairing heart valves, removing plaque from arteries, or implanting a pacemaker.
- Mental health therapy: Can help with stress management.
Physiotherapists at Activa Clinics can create custom cardiac rehab plans that incorporate a range of services. These custom plans can help improve your heart health, speed up recovery, and reduce the chance for heart issues in the future. Some of the services available include:
- Custom exercise plans
- Aqua therapy
- Massage therapy
- Weight loss programs
- Smoking cessation programs
- Patient education
Physiotherapists at Activa Clinics can create custom treatment plans that combine a variety of therapies. This lets them take a whole-body approach to treat arthritis and its associated issues. Just some of the ways they can help include:
- Exercises and stretches
- Recommendations on how to overcome physical limitations
- Massage therapy
- Custom orthotics
- Functional braces
There are many ways to lower your risk for cardiovascular disease, including everything from getting regular check-ups to making healthier lifestyle choices. Here are a few of them:
- Get your blood pressure checked regularly (at least once per year)
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Eat a proper diet. (Go for fruit, vegetables, and grains. Avoid saturated fats, added sugars, and sodium)
- Exercise regularly
- If you have multiple risk factors or have had heart issues, consider getting help with a cardiac rehab program.
With our whole-body approach to healing, we can identify how CVD is impacting your overall health and wellness. We can use a range of advanced diagnostics to help us get a clear picture of your condition. Since CVD can take many forms and affect you in a variety of ways, our experience diagnosing these issues is invaluable.
Once we uncover the source and impacts caused by your CVD, we’ll create a custom plan to solve your issues. Our custom plans can incorporate a variety of treatment options to provide the best solution for you.