Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, & Physiotherapy
In Home Treatment Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, & Physiotherapy
Arthritis, in particular osteoarthritis, is an extremely common condition. In Canada alone, there are around 6 million sufferers. For most of these people, arthritis proves to be a debilitating condition. It is a disease that gradually eats away at your ability to do the things you want until eventually; it becomes difficult to enjoy life.
It is awful to be in almost constant pain. Especially when you have been told that, over time, your condition is going to worsen. A truly depressing prospect.
Fortunately, with the right support, from us, there is actually quite a bit you can do to make living with this condition a lot easier. Our Activa Clinics are equipped to treat you in several ways.
When you come in to see us our physiotherapists and other trained therapists will assess your current condition. They will want to know what your doctors have said about your condition and learn about how you are currently managing your arthritis. As well as understand what other forms of treatment you have already tried.
By pulling that information together they will be able to come up with a treatment plan that is designed to reverse as many of the adverse symptoms you are experiencing possible. As well as help you to slow down the progression of the disease. We even offer in home treatments for arthritis and osteoarthritis, so you have not got to worry about travelling to one of our clinics if you don’t want to or can’t do so.
If you already know you have arthritis and that you want us to help you, just get in touch to make an appointment. Or, if you prefer, you can read on to learn more about arthritis and osteoarthritis.
Arthritis is a debilitating condition that causes the joints to stiffen, become tender and, often, swell. What causes arthritis is still not fully understood and the underlying causes vary from person to person. Research is ongoing.
However, what is known is that it mostly develops when the bones and cartilage begin to wear. That is why people who have manual jobs, do a lot of sports or have been carrying out repetitive tasks for many years tend to suffer from the condition.
There is also quite a bit of evidence that this nasty disease runs in families. This is thought to be because of a fault in the genes that is passed on through the generations. In some people, the body's immune system starts to attack normal cells, which leads to the joints being damaged. This type is called rheumatoid arthritis. It is one of the 100+ types of arthritis you can develop.
Osteoarthritis is by far the most common form of the disease. This is known by some as “wear and tear” arthritis. It is caused by the overuse of the joints. So, avid sportsmen and women are prone to it. As are people who have jobs that require them to move certain limbs repetitively. In the past, road workers, miners and those who worked in heavy industries were particularly prone to developing this disease.
The main symptom is a stiffening of the joints. This, in turn, leads to restricted movement, which then puts a strain on other muscles, ligaments, tendons, and bones. Over time, they are all weakened and can become deformed. If left to run its normal course this form of arthritis can easily result in disabilities. Fortunately, arthritis and osteoarthritis physiotherapy can be used to slow down its progression. In some cases, it can even reverse some of the damage.
At Activa Clinics we believe in taking a whole-body approach. When you tackle health issues from several angles at once you achieve much better results.
So, we are never dismissive of natural remedies. Instead, we look carefully at the research and listen to what other patients who have used them say about the results they have got.
We always encourage anyone who contacts us about treatment for their arthritis to first do the following:
- Lose at least some of their excess weight – to take as much strain as possible off of the joints
- Take regular exercise – this builds up your muscles and provides your joints with better support
- Stay active in other ways – simply spending 25 minutes a day walking briskly is not enough, if you spend the rest of the day sitting still your circulation will still be poor
- Experiment with cold and heat therapies – they can both be used to reduce swelling and better manage pain
- Try different pain medications – often pain levels can be kept manageable using low doses of mild painkillers, your doctor will advise you about how and when to use them
- Gentle massages – massage can be used to reduce swelling, ease pain, and mobilize the joints, but it needs to be gentle
- Eat a healthy diet – doing this will help you to keep your weight under control, swapping unhealthy fats for omega fatty acids will also give your joints the nutrients they need
- Try turmeric – there is quite a bit of evidence that turmeric and other foodstuffs that contain high levels of curcumin can reduce rheumatoid arthritis flare-ups
Our Professional Physiotherapist Can Help You Manage Your Arthritis and Overcome Your Limitations.
In our clinics, you can consult and be treated by our physiotherapists, acupuncturists, and massage specialists. We also have a range of equipment available, for example, TENS units, that can be used to ease your symptoms.
Activa offers in-home treatment for Arthritis and Osteoarthritis Physiotherapy Treatment. Instead of your spending time, energy and money travelling to one of our clinics, we will come to you. Our range of in home arthritis treatments are extremely effective.
Whether you want to come into one of our clinics, or for us to come to you, all you need to do is to click this link to get in contact with us.
We genuinely believe that we offer the best arthritis and osteoarthritis treatments. Our clinics and in home therapists offer the following:
- Treatment regimes that are tailored to you and your specific needs
- Numerous years of experience
- An excellent proven track record when it comes to keeping people with arthritis moving and healthy
- Access to a large multidisciplinary treatment team
- Access to the very latest and proven treatment options
- A truly holistic approach
Our Team Includes:
Book an Appointment
Research shows that even a modest amount of weight loss can make significant improvements to your health. So let us help you reach a healthier weight. At Activa Clinics, we take a whole-body approach. Using a variety of therapies and treatments, we can make it easier to lose weight, solve the associated conditions, and improve your overall health.