What is Obesity?
Obesity is a health issue that many people struggle to overcome. And you probably know it is much more than just a cosmetic issue. Carrying around excess body weight brings a lot of health risks such as stroke and heart disease. So what exactly is obesity? Generally, a person is classified as obese when their body mass index (BMI) is 30 or higher. BMI is not a perfect measurement since it doesn’t take into account how much of your weight is body fat and how much is muscle. However, it does provide a good estimate to start with when it comes to weight management.
What Causes Obesity?
As you might expect, the main contributors to obesity are having an unhealthy diet and lack of physical activity. Simply put, if you’re taking in more calories than you’re burning off, you are going to gain weight.
However, there are some other factors that come into play. They include your genetics, your metabolism, and hormone levels. For example, your hormone levels can be affected by changes in your lifestyle and can boost your appetite as a result.
Some examples of factors that contribute to obesity are:
- Lack of sleep
- Quitting smoking (can cause weight gain when you use food to handle withdrawal symptoms)
Signs and Symptoms of Obesity
If you are dealing with obesity, there are a number of associated symptoms you might have. Some of them include:
- Being out of breath, even when at rest
- Increased sweating
- Sleep apnea
- Joint pains
- Sexual issues
How is Obesity Treated?
A variety of treatments are available to help you overcome obesity and achieve a healthier weight.
- Physiotherapy: Can provide exercise programs and recommendations to help you reach a healthy weight.
- Mental health therapy: Can help with the mental issues behind weight gain like emotional eating.
- Acupuncture: Can be used to boost your metabolism and decrease your appetite.
- Surgery: When other treatments fail, or you have serious health issues related to obesity, bariatric surgery can make changes to your digestive system to help you lose weight.
Physiotherapy for Obesity
At Activa Clinics, our physiotherapists can create custom treatment plans that incorporate a wide range of therapies. In addition to providing exercise programs, they can also address your body’s internal imbalances (such as hormonal issues) to make it easier to lose weight. Some of the therapies they may use include:
How to Prevent Obesity
Here are some simple strategies you can use to help prevent weight gain and obesity:
- Drink more water. Sugary drinks like soda and fruit juice can be major contributors to weight gain.
- Don’t skip breakfast. Attempting to fast until lunchtime can often backfire and lead to overeating.
- Try keeping a food journal. Note what you eat and what you were feeling and doing before you started eating. This can help you identify your triggers for emotional eating.
- Come up with alternative ways to deal with your emotional eating triggers. For example, consider taking a relaxation break or calling a friend.
Book an Appointment
Research shows that even a modest amount of weight loss can make significant improvements to your health. So let us help you reach a healthier weight. At Activa Clinics, we take a whole-body approach. Using a variety of therapies and treatments, we can make it easier to lose weight, solve the associated conditions, and improve your overall health.